BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease

Old 01-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annelb View Post
Ok, let me say that the title I used is not quite correct. The experts did not find proof that the GF/CF diet works for those with autism.
Ahhh, but see, that is the same headline used in many newspapers around the country. They MISLEAD with the headlines!!! I have found so many of such articles in the "Health" section of the newspapers to be outright misleading whenever it comes to any non-pharmaceutical information. They did the same thing about vitamin E, about any alternatives, about supplements, about cancer treatment, etc. They twist the research in the headlines, and they also pick and choose, and don't explain what is behind that one little research they chose to report on.

Gee, if I were paranoid, I'd think big pharma was manipulating the "news"...
Old 01-06-2010, 04:24 PM

Big Pharm is probably the only "industry" which is positively thriving in this pitiful economy - I'm noticing many more drug ads on TV, in magazines, and even in newspapers (never mind all the Web pop-ups). Wouldn't want them to bite the hand that feeds them. I say to the "experts" CHECK THE POOP. Run some lab tests. See if the person is actually absorbing any of the few nutritional foods they consume. I think we all know now that autism is caused by some type of environmental insult (whether it's phthalates*, contaminated water/food, air pollution, vaccines), followed by the body's inability to handle these things (which is why a family with 3 children might have only one child diagnosed as autistic). Today's children are being exposed to an unprecedented number of toxins just by being alive in the world. If tweaking someone's diet so they can absorb the nutrients they need will improve their condition, why not DO IT!

*http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/members/2005/8100/8100.pdf

Karen
Old 01-11-2010, 12:10 PM

One thing I just want to put out here is that the article does not exactly identify this "panel of experts." One of the doctors is from Harvard Medical School, which has a new building called the Pfizer Lecture Hall: http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~ims/Clas...ckrodtb23.html It does not behoove the conventional medical community to admit in any way, shape or form that poor DIET might have anything to do with this explosion of autism, autoimmune diseases, etc. It DOES make the large pharmaceutical companies more fond of these mystery "experts" if they continue to say - gee - we don't know - and continue with their financially beneficial routine of prescribing drugs which only mask the symptoms.

Karen