BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Arachnoid Cysts

Old 02-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Community Member

Default arachnoid cyst in cerebellum area...

About 2.1/2 years ago I had a sudden balance disturbance, and an MRI scan showed hydrocephalus and also an arachnoid cyst in the cerebellum area.

A lumbar puncture revealed communicating hydrocephalus, treated 12 weeks ago with a programmable shunt. Cognitively, I have been doing OK since.

The neurosurgeon thought that the arachnoid cyst could explain the balance disturbance. Honestly there folks, along the mid-line (saggital) section, about 2/3 of the cross section of the space set aside for the cerebellum is occupied by the cyst, and cerebellum tissue is squashed flat.

I have a constant balance disturbance, a strange wobble. One eye shows a slight wobble to it. It is very slight. Also, EXACTLY co-incident with the balance disturbance was a strange neck noise, very like a squishing sound when I turn my head. It is always there.

All other motor activity is fine. There is some limb numbness, always symmetrical... the backs of hands and the lower limbs.

I really want rid of it. I am truly fed up with it. I have heard about endoscopic fenestration. Has anyone had experience of this technique.

The cyst is not very large, but I think that there is no future in it.

Thanks...

Zubenelgenube.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:58 PM
New Community Member

Default I can relate--AC over cerebellum/midbrain

I also have a large sub-Arachnoid Cyst over my cerebellum and over the midbrain. I have a VP shunt to relieve hydrocephalus. I recommend that you join the Arachnoid Cyst Awareness Network to gather more information about your condition. If you are on FACEBOOK, join the Arachnoid Cyst Group. I have a newphew who had one of his two AC's fenestrated last year.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Community Member

rsox34 :

Thanks.

I have communicating hydro, controlled by a VP shunt, AND I have an arachnoid cyst exactly at the rear of cerebellum. It's not small, either.

When we tackled the communicating hydro, I talked to the surgeon and discussed tha possibility that the AC might become more active as the pressure outside it would be reduced.

We are scheduled to meet March 1st.

I really want rid of that cyst. Life is a bit short to have to leave it.

What were your symptoms of the cyst, rsox34?
Old 03-13-2010, 11:32 PM
New Community Member

Default My Symptoms included:

Eye/Vision issues--Strabismus (Exotropia and Hyptertropia), Parinaud's Syndrome (aka Dorsal Midbrain Syndrome)
Daily Headaches, Eyeaches as a child. Nausea, Vomitting, lethargy, Irritability, poor balance, difficulty with fine motor skills, difficulty with Coordination.
Hydrocephalus of the 3rd and lateral ventricles
Nonv-verbal Learning disorder--had difficulty with mechanical math (math after 5th grade.)
Extra-sensitive sense of hearing and smell. All sounds seem amplified to me. Some Asberger's-like symtoms.

My nephew also has an arachnoid cyst (acutually had two.) He had CT-guided fenestration done on his larger AC. The CT guided procedure is newere and not available at every hospital. It's a lot more precise and less invasive than the other form of endoscopic fenestration. My nephew went home the day after his surgery. I on the other hand had a VP shunt inserted in 1994 to relieve hydrocephalus. I was in the hospital for five days.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:05 PM
New Community Member

please go to cofwa.org and u will get all the info u need on this
Old 06-26-2011, 07:00 AM
Community Member

Default here are 2 pictures of it...

Looks clear to me.
Clear mass effect and a cerebellum getting a hard time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zubenel Saggital 1.jpg (53.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Zubenel Saggital 2.jpg (53.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 07-15-2011, 09:46 AM
New Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenelgenube View Post
About 2.1/2 years ago I had a sudden balance disturbance, and an MRI scan showed hydrocephalus and also an arachnoid cyst in the cerebellum area.

A lumbar puncture revealed communicating hydrocephalus, treated 12 weeks ago with a programmable shunt. Cognitively, I have been doing OK since.

The neurosurgeon thought that the arachnoid cyst could explain the balance disturbance. Honestly there folks, along the mid-line (saggital) section, about 2/3 of the cross section of the space set aside for the cerebellum is occupied by the cyst, and cerebellum tissue is squashed flat.

I have a constant balance disturbance, a strange wobble. One eye shows a slight wobble to it. It is very slight. Also, EXACTLY co-incident with the balance disturbance was a strange neck noise, very like a squishing sound when I turn my head. It is always there.

All other motor activity is fine. There is some limb numbness, always symmetrical... the backs of hands and the lower limbs.

The cyst is not very large, but I think that there is no future in it.

Zubenelgenube.
Hello Zubenelgenube,

I am a retired background with background in neurology. I recently wrote a popular science book on the role of upright posture in neurodegenerative diseases. One of the key topics I cover in the book is hydrocephalus.

The cisterns are dilations in the subarachnoid space. Among other things you have excess CSF volume in the lower cisterns such as the cisterna magna and pontine cisterns. You have excess CSF in front of the brainstem and you have excess in the foramen magnum. Your lateral ventricles also look slightly enlarged. Your cranial vault looks slightly undersized and you have a flat tentorium cerebelli (covering) over the cerebellum. In other words your cerebellum is squashed into a smaller space to begin with because of your particular genetic skull design. You have problems with CSF flow in general. The cyst is simply a reflection of the larger problem and makes matters worse because it causes additional compression of the cerebellum, which is also getting squeezed from excess CSF volume beneath it.

The cerebellar cyst may be the result of a natural enlargement or subsequent weakness in the arachnoid mater that became enlarged over time. Back pressure against the brain is most likely what caused the cyst to form and enlarge in the first place. The cisterns in the brain are the first places to feel the effects of sluggish CSF flow and fill up from back pressure. A cervical MRI would tell you if you have entrapment of CSF flow in the spinal canal causing a myelopathy in the upper cord. In this regard, the subarachnoid space located inside the foramen magnum and upper cervical spine serves as a vent for CSF flow as pressure and volume rise and fall with fluctuations in heart and respiratory pressures that are transmitted to the brain. Impaired venting causes inversion flows and pressure in the brain which can wear out soft tissue such as the archnoid mater similar to whirlpools and turbulant white water wearing holes into shorelines and rocks.

I have a page on normal pressure hydrocepalus with additional links if you are interested. I believe it is currently misunderstood and often overlooked. There are also pages on skull design. You may be somewhat undersized (hypoplastic) and I can't determine the angle of the base of your skull from the image you posted. You might also want to read the pages on the design of the base of the skull as well as the upper cervical angle.

http://www.upright-health.com/normal...ocephalus.html