BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Alcoholism, Addiction and Family

Alcoholism, Addiction and Family Support group for people dealing with family members who suffer from alcoholism.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Community Member

Default father and ex with drinking problems

I was planning on hitting an al anon meeting maybe friday morning.They have a babysitter at this particualr meeting for my 4 year old son.I tried AA found it was not a match for me as I am not an alcoholic or addict,but I like the format and found al anon.Actually tried it a number of years ago with my husband at the time and he talked me out of going.I am an adult child of alcoholics both my father and mother(may she RIP)and married an alcoholic my husband of 17 years now divorcing any moment.I hope to find support as my fathers mood is as labile as my own when I am swinging away.( i am schizo affective bipolar type.)I am always looking for that place where I may find peaople going through the same things as I.I even went to NA groups but as I said not an addict unless you count sugar.But I am raambling, just thought Id put this out there-

patty
Old 02-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Hi Patty ~ I'm a recovering alcoholic, and also both my parents were alcoholics. So I know it both first hand, and I grew up with it.

As you know, nothing you can say or do will make him stop drinking. The only way he will stop drinking is if HE wants to stop drinking! Nobody can make him.

I'm glad you're going to go to Al-Anon. That's a great place for you to get support.

This site is very very slow. Not many come here anymore. I wish you the very best. Take care & God bless. Hugs, Lee
severe DDD; sciatica; osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, 2 spinal surgeries, SCS implant & removal, morphine pump trial-didn't work, umpteen injections/epidurals/trigger points,rhizotomy, Racz procedure, etc., therapy, 4 more herniations, now inoperable; lumpectomy, radiation therapy~breast cancer survivor, heart attack. On disability.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:00 PM

Default patty

I wish you would post more often. it is always nice to hear from you.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Community Member

Ok here goes.I am an alcoholic.I have 103 days today have spoken at a meeting and am working step two and three.Alanon was great but I am no longer in denial about my own addiction to alcohol food etc.....I always told myself it was because I am on meds that I shouldnt drink, but I do have a problem.this is hard to admit but its true-

patty
Old 07-08-2011, 08:45 AM

Hi Patty ~ Good for you !!! Admitting it is a huge step -- and it sounds like you're doing well in your program! Congrats on your length of sobriety!

You probably know that alcoholism tends to run in families. I know it does in mine. If our parents, or a member of our family is an alcoholic, we are predisposed to becoming one ourselves.

Once you really get into the steps and begin working them, I think it will be easier to deal with your Dad. I know it helped me -- my son is an alcoholic, and working the steps helped me to understand myself AND HIM better.

Just keep hitting those meetings -- I couldn't have made it without meetings frequently. They kept me honest! LOL

Keep us posted on your progress -- I'd really like to know. God bless & take care. Hugs, Lee
severe DDD; sciatica; osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, 2 spinal surgeries, SCS implant & removal, morphine pump trial-didn't work, umpteen injections/epidurals/trigger points,rhizotomy, Racz procedure, etc., therapy, 4 more herniations, now inoperable; lumpectomy, radiation therapy~breast cancer survivor, heart attack. On disability.