BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 10-11-2008, 09:16 PM
New Community Member

Default Is Ebstein Barr CFS??

Hi everyone,
I was told I have Ebstein Barr a few years ago, can anyone please tell me if that is the same as CFS? It actually made my AIDS test a positive negative, which was scary but then found out I am ok and it was the EB that messed with my results.

I had brain surgery in the end of August because of a cyst that was blocking most of my spinal fluid. Since then I am really tired and I know its from the surgery but wasn't sure if my EB now kicked in.

Thanks for listening
Old 10-12-2008, 06:56 AM
New Community Member

Default you can check my blog for answers on EBV....

www.pochoams.blogspot.com

Regards

C.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:27 AM
New Community Member

Default No CFS is not epstein barr!

If you know this is the cause of your disease, then that is the disease you have; EBV, not CFS.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is an artificial construct created in the US in 1988 for the benefit of various political and financial vested interest groups. It is a mere diagnosis of exclusion (or wastebasket diagnosis) based on the presence of gradual or acute onset fatigue lasting 6 months. If tests show serious abnormalities, a person no longer qualifies for the diagnosis, as ‘CFS’ is ‘medically unexplained.’ A diagnosis of ‘CFS’ does not mean that a person has any distinct disease (including M.E.).

Every diagnosis of ‘CFS’ can only ever be a misdiagnosis. However, while 'CFS' is not a genuine diagnosis, those given this misdiagnosis are in many cases significantly or even severely ill and disabled, with conditions such as post-viral fatigue syndromes, Lyme disease, vitamin deficiencies, Fibromyalgia, Athlete's over training syndrome, depression (and other organic psychiatric disease), Bechet's disease, Multiple Sclerosis, cancer and so on. Patients given a misdiagnosis of 'CFS' must not be abused, ridiculed or neglected, as happens so often now. These patients deserve to be correctly diagnosed and treated for the distinct conditions they have, finally. The bogus concept of 'CFS' must be abandoned. All a diagnosis of ‘CFS’ actually means is that the patient has a gradual onset fatigue syndrome which is usually due to a missed major disease.

The patient population diagnosed with ‘CFS’ is made up of people with a vast array of unrelated illnesses, or with no detectable illness. According to the latest CDC estimates, 2.54% of the population qualify for a ‘CFS’ (mis)diagnosis.

Jodi
Old 12-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Distinguished Community Member

CFS and Fibro are a collection of autoimmune diseases with mitochondrial, virus components and enzyme - hormone imbalances. Most common are thyroid and adrenal problems. My daughter has these as do I.

DDD, Fibro, CFS, pain for 14 years
4-12-09 Trip to Laser Spine in Florida. 9-15-09 nerve pain 90% gone.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:31 AM
Community Member

I had glandular fever years ago that was missed or was already in its last stages. I was also diagnosed for CMV and EB. One or the three of these caused me to have CFS which took me a while to shake off. CMV, EB, AIDS are a possible cause of CFS (see causes of CFS in http://wonder.cdc.gov/wonder/prevgui...2/p0000102.asp). I took strong doses of multivitamins and tried to not to get stressed as much as I possible. I am back to the "land of the living" but can understand the frustration CFS brings. Depression is also possible for you wish you can just get better and "snap out of it" so I pray you get as much support and understanding from the people around you.