BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Alcoholism, Addiction and Recovery

Old 01-22-2011, 12:56 AM
New Community Member

Default Hello from a stranger...Leealle, this one's for you!

Hello everyone, those I remember, especially Lee, and those new since I last posted.

If anyone remembers me, I used to post under the UN, AnnieB. I guess that I still am. My last post can be found near the end of the "Mouthwash" thread below.

After way too long, I have rejoined BT, and find that it is so nice to see some familiar voices still here. Looking at the posts though, this board is far less active than it was when I first joined some 7 years or so ago.

My little late life , Elizabeth Grace is now a 6 year old kindergartener--how time flies! Somewhere here is a pic of her at 1 day old. I remember SuperDave helped me post it.

I celebrated 8 years of uninterrupted sobriety last September and how good that feels. Every morning I wake up and pray to my HP for guidance to stay sober for another 24 hours, and every evening, pray to thank my HP for another day sober. The program really works!

Although it's been a long time, not a whole lot is new. Just enjoying life clean. In the process of applying for disability. We'll see how that goes. I've had many doctors trying to talk me into it for a couple of years now and finally I decided that I was emotionally ready to admit that my working days are most likely over. It took me a long time to reach that decision. Now that I have, I hope that I don't have to fight too hard to receive it.

I'm looking forward to conversing with folks here on this forum. You all helped me stay sober during some challenging times in the past years, and I've thought of you often.

Lee, do you ever hear from SuperDave or Citiog (?ap) these days? I remember both of them so well from years ago, as I do you.

Joy and Happiness to all,
Annie B.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:20 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Hi Annie!!!

So good to see you back!! And a BIG congratulations on 8 years SOBER!! That's wonderful !! Isn't life grand when we can see it with clear eyes??? Lord willing in July I'll have 18 years!

You're right ~ this forum is very very slow. When this place crashed big time, most everyone left -- and i don't know where they went. Once they were gone, they were gone for good. it's a shame ~ wish they'd stop back to say "hi."

I'm still disabled ~ one little "new" blip is that I recently had a heart attack and didn't even KNOW IT. My doc caught it on an EKG - and there's heart damage too, so i see a cardiologist on Tuesday. Just something else to tick me off. LOL

I'm glad you're filing for Disability ~ it's about time. i've been on it since 1998, and it's been a God-send cause there is NO way I could work. Heck, I get out of breath just walking (limping) around the house! LOL I hope you get your answer soon! It seems they take forever to make up their minds.

I haven't heard from Citoig in ages - I've e-mailed him and it comes back, so that scares me. I pray nothing happened to him, but I can't help but worry. It's been some time since I've heard from SuperDave. He must be doing well ~~ I hope. Phil stops in once in awhile - he's doing great.

Gosh, it's good to hear from you Annie. I hope we don't lose touch again! Keep me posted on your goings on, ok??? (((Hugs))) Lee
severe DDD; sciatica; osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, 2 spinal surgeries, SCS implant & removal, morphine pump trial-didn't work, umpteen injections/epidurals/trigger points,rhizotomy, Racz procedure, etc., therapy, 4 more herniations, now inoperable; lumpectomy, radiation therapy~breast cancer survivor, heart attack. On disability.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:20 AM
New Community Member

Default So happy...

...to hear from you Lee. Man, watch that heart stuff. I've heard that since research had traditionally been done on men only, those in "the know" have since discovered that women have significant differences from men when it comes to the heart and things that can go wrong.

The same thing happened to a friend of mine. Went for a "baseline" EKG and boom, found out that she too, had had one several years previously. Nothing to fool around with.

Not a whole lot to say around here. But you know, that's nice in the life of an addict. The quality of my problems today...today I have a sleeping child next to me along with her two little kittens, a loving husband in the other room. Do I care that I'm a sports widow these days? Heck no, if those are the biggest problems God will give to me today, then I'm blessed and grateful. A stomach full of booze would simply make things so much worse. I know, I'm preaching to the choir here.

You're in my thoughts alot Lee. You'll never ever know how much your first post in reply to my first one, meant to me. I'm so happy that you're still out here keeping this place going. Remember though, how busy it used to be here on this forum? I wish it was again. We never know when a struggling AA will wander into this "room" needing some hope. Now we just have to figure out how to brew that virtual pot of coffee and we'll have a real meeting!

I'll be around from time to time, poking around. Will definitely let you know how the Disability application comes out. I don't even want to read in that forum--to depressing right now. I don't want to know how bad it can get. I'll keep my hopes up on a wing and a prayer and maybe I'll get lucky.

Love lots,
Annie B.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:13 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Soooo good to hear from YOU Annie!! And you couldn't have said it better -- my problems today are miniscule compared to what they COULD be if i had kept drinking. Of course I would probably be dead had I kept on the way I was. Now THAT'S a big problem!!!

Like you, I wish this place was like it used to be. It was so active, and we had so many members. But when this place crashed, everyone flew the coop and went elsewhere - and didn't come back. It's amazing to me that we NEVER get a newcomer anymore. I guess they see the board isn't very active, and figure that no one is around anymore. But I find it true on other boards too -- No newcomers!! Maybe nowadays, it's not "politically correct" to admit you're an alcoholic? Who knows. All I know is there are people suffering out there -- and who need help.

How long have you been sober now Annie? I know it's been quite awhile -- but I've lost track of time! i guess all we have to worry about is today, right? God bless dearheart ~ and take care. Hugs, Lee
severe DDD; sciatica; osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, 2 spinal surgeries, SCS implant & removal, morphine pump trial-didn't work, umpteen injections/epidurals/trigger points,rhizotomy, Racz procedure, etc., therapy, 4 more herniations, now inoperable; lumpectomy, radiation therapy~breast cancer survivor, heart attack. On disability.