BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Cerebellar Disorders

Old 05-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Default Cerebellum and slurring of speech Therapy

I just learned that a shrunken cerebellum can not only cause balance and reflex problems (got those) but also slurred speech. (which I have.)
I met someone who was going to a speech therapist to work on this slurred speech problem caused by her cerebellum weirdness. Does anyone know more about it?

Linnie
Old 05-30-2010, 05:52 AM

I have Cerebellar Degenerative Disease w/Ataxia which include many different symptoms. I do a great deal of research, well I used to, and never found any positive linkage to the Cerebellar Atrophy symptom of slurred speech improving through physical therapy.

When dealing with the Cerebellum, once physical deterioration or trauma occur there are no regenerative properties, which negates the possibility of recovery. Since it controls so much of our bodies activities, once a function is gone, there is little chance of recovery.

I'm just a regular guy with a little medical background and internet research abilities, I am not in the medical field. Therefore, I am simply sharing my experience and personal knowledge. I keep an open mind that anything is possible though.

Craig
Old 07-30-2010, 06:39 PM

Default Hi Craig

Hello there Craig

Honey, you sure you just haven't been tippin' a few too many????*insa neMaybe out on a date with or possibly ??????

Sorry hon I just couldn't help myself!!!!!!!!!He made me do it
Love you man!!!! kat
TMJ/shoulder/parotid tumor surgery, Scoliosis, Lumbar fusion for Spondylolithesis; now in entire spine. Herniated cervical disc; no surgery, high risk/Vascular Dementia (VaD), Epi's not working. Painful w/lots of headaches. Breast Cancer survivor 12 yrs, lumpectomy, chemo/rads. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis. Rapid transit small bowel/no weight gain, IBS, 'cusp'/Crohns, Diviculosis, myoclonic dystonia. VaD prognosis 3/5 yrs from dx, my 7th yr, causes tia's, seizures/strokes
Old 07-31-2010, 02:04 AM

Hey Kat!

After very careful consideration of your assumptions and inquiry, I've decided to address each point and question individually, to include great detail.

YES!!!
Richmond, VA, USA