BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Huntingtons Disease

Old 09-30-2009, 09:39 PM
New Community Member

Default Need Help with Mother with HD

my mother has hd. she is going through major personality changes and having alot of anxiety this is very difficult for my sister, father and I. we do not know what to do to help her. we feel she is ready for some type of medication to help take the edge off. the problem is, she is dead set against the medications because she has watched her father, 2 brothers, and one sister be put on medications for hd and she feels the meds. make things worse. how do we go about suggesting she start taking meds. without hurting her or making her feel bad about herself when she is totally against it? what is the correct way of handling this for someone with this disease? we can't even get her to go to the doctor's. as I'm sure many of you know, someone with hd can be hard to reason with. I would greatly appreciate ANY words of advise. we feel so alone and don't know where to turn for help. I feel like professional help is greatly needed. Thanks so much, Stacy
Old 10-31-2009, 07:41 PM
Distinguished Community Member

stacy,

i notice you haven't posted since this post. i hope you found some professional, either a doctor or counselor who was willing to help your family.

i know a family that has hd in it, also. it's an extremely heartbreaking disease. your mom has the right to refuse medication. i am sure you know her disease is fatal and i'm sure you know you and your sister each have a 50% chance of having inherited the gene that causes hd.

talk with your mom about what she wants. maybe get involved in a hospice program. your whole family needs to get together with your mom and see what she needs and wants.

then go from there.

wishing you the best,
jeannie

sorry no one has replied to you since you posted. this is not a busy forum at all.
"...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney
Old 11-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Stacy, I just saw this post myself. Since it's been awhile I'm hoping your mom got help. We're not in her shoes,so I'm thinking let her be the judge of whether or not to take the meds. I wish your family the best.....and we do have a very active Emotional Support forum here on BT. I encourage you or your mom to join in there. We can't fight this dreadful disease but perhaps we can connect for much needed emotional support.

Good luck!