BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease

Old 04-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaandtoastgirl View Post
We've just gotten access to a tanning bed, but I am more interested in the lamp you suggested. Is that like the kind of lamps recommended for people with SAD?
Be sure only to use the tanning bed for half the time necessary to tan if you just want Vitamin D. Remember that before your skin burns ALL the Vitamin D and it's active metabolite will have been processed by the UVB to products your body cannot use so you are then vulnerable to cancer cells progressing. LITTLE but OFTEN is the secret. (and do check the tubes on the tanning bed are no high pressure no UVB ones, they will just tan and damage the skin with no vitamin d to compensate.

The tubes that work for SAD have NO UVB so will not raise vitamin d status. (if they did they would burn your eyes and you'd go blind so it wouldn't be a good idea) Any VERY BRIGHT light source will work for SAD. You don't have to spend a fortune just to have SAD on the box. A tasklight or garage worklight will probably have exactly the same tubes in them as do the SAD light costs ten times the price. Generally, although they do work, SADLIGHTS are a ripoff and folks would be better off just getting the brightest light they can bear to sit in front of.

I still have a couple of SADLIGHTS but they have remained in the attic as now I keep my Vitamin D status optimal I don't need to use them. There is a huge difference between NOT BEING DEPRESSED and Being depressed but treating the symptoms reasonably well with sadlights.

I'd rather not be depressed at all so I take 5000iu/daily/d3 (as well as omega3 2g/d and magnesium 600mg/d)
Old 04-08-2008, 12:07 PM

Ted - Would you recommend a brand for the D, Omega 3 and magnesium? Do you take capsules, tablets or liquid? I would like to find a good capsule, because capsules are...yucky.

Karen
Old 04-08-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonulin View Post
Ted - Would you recommend a brand for the D, Omega 3 and magnesium? Do you take capsules, tablets or liquid? I would like to find a good capsule, because capsules are...yucky.

Karen
I personally take the Bio-Tech D-3-5 (5,000IU) 250ct detailsEach capsule supplies: Vitamin D3 5,000IU but as folk know I live on an island at latitude 52 and we have long winters (there may be uvb but it's still too cold to take your clothes off) and cloudy summers.
If you lived further south and had more sunshine then I expect you could manage on the Carlson, Vitamin D, 2000 IU, 360 Soft Gels $11.28 but there are lots of similar priced D3 in oilgel capsules. I'm sticking to the Biotech simply because they are cheap and I know they work. That is no reflection on anyother D3 CHOLECALCIFEROL capsule. Dr Davis of the heartscan blog also suggests the Carlson's and as he is testing folk every day he would know if there was a problem.

I haven't really got a favorite omega3. Dr McCleary is keen on the Krill oil but they are a tad pricey for me especially as you can't get them in the UK.
the important thing with Omega3 is the amounts of EPA and DHA, Ideally you need between 1-2g daily the liquiid forms are generally cheaper than the capsules but a lot of folk don't like the taste. Something like this
Jarrow Formulas, EPA-DHA Balance, 240 Softgels would be a reasonable buy as it is very refined and concentrated so 2 daily should be fine. I take a liquid form (only available in the UK) but I have a very strong stomach and don't find anyting yucky.

I've been taking Magnesium citrate (following Mrs D's orders) but I may try magnesium malate next time.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:05 PM

Thanks, Ted! I meant to say that TABLETS are yucky sheesh. I will take your advice - have seen the krill supplements sold by Dr. Mercola, and they do seem a bit pricey. Thanks!!

Karen
Old 04-09-2008, 07:54 PM

Hi Ted and Karen,

I'm going to for-go the tanning bed, Ted. I didn't realize you need to go often. Often isn't an option. It's been in the high 40's this week, so being outside for 20 minutes isn't too bad. But there isn't much exposed. I'm still taking 6000 iu of D3 cholecalciferol a day and I take 1 to 2 EPA-DHA (Metagenics) Omega 3(350mg each) capsule a day as well.

Karen I keep these in my refrigerator at docs suggestion because they go deep into your gut before dissolving and leave no bad taste. Also by going so deep, the help with digestion and gut healing.