BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (M - Z) > Spinal Disorders

Old 06-26-2008, 07:42 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default SI joint pain? Does this sound familiar?

I was wondering if anyone else has this type of pain from the SI Joint. I think that's where it's coming from, but as you know, it's sometimes hard to tell really. I can sit fairly well, with minimal pain, but laying down is painful, especially on the right side. My left SI is the one hurting, I think. So, laying on the right side must throw it out of alignment? Bending sets it off, as does any kind of lifting, even the light lifting. Just shifting in my seat, or shifting while laying on my back will often set it off. Does this sound like SI pain to those of you that have dealt with it? My chiro said it is really swollen back there, and for me to ice it a lot. So, I'm doing that and hoping it helps. Anything else I can do? TIA!
Old 06-27-2008, 07:07 AM

Katina, I don't have any SI joint issues but I do hope icing the area helps you. If your chiro hasn't given you stretching exercises to do, you should check the web for ones that target the SI joints.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:11 AM

Yes. I put off going to bed as long as I can since the minute I lie down, there's the pain. I wake up 4-5 times a night in burning pain-plus, it makes me feel the need to go to the bathroom whether I really have to go or not. Mornings are SHEAR HELL. The burning, the feeling my back is breaking, is indescribable. I can't function, and lie back down on the couch which feels good since it's cold. I take an Oxycontin & hydrocondone at night before bed, and keep a hydrocondone by the bed with a glass of water for the morning. Sometimes I can't wait and take it at 5 am.

I'm currently doing the "doctor dance" which is a PITA$$. I see my OSS on the 7th. Yesterday my hubby and I compared my MRI's from 2 years ago to the ones just taken, and you can see the deterioration. But...it might not yet be enough for THEM (the doc) to fix-and if they make me wait another year they better look out.....funny, how these young doc's don't have a clue what it is like to LIVE IN PAIN. I wish I could make them find out so they will have th insight as to what we have to live with!
Old 06-27-2008, 11:54 AM

Thanks Mark. It was a little better while sleeping last night in my own bed instead of my Dad's, but this morning is pure hades. I've got leg pain, foot pain, back pain. Just ouchie. It'll get better as I loosen up hopefully.

Grumpy, I'll definitely look for some exercises, as he didn't give me any yesterday. We aren't 100% sure it isn't the L5-S1 disc referring the pain, but we are trying to rule out or in the SI joint. I just tough it out during the day and take my percocet at night only, and 1/2 at that. I think I'll take some aleve today and see if that helps. The burning pain is so familiar. I get that at night, which wakes me up and causes me to get into another position to go back to sleep. I haven't seen my NS in ages now. I just see a pain mgmt doc who manages my percocet. He had recommended facet joint injections and RFA to me recently, but I'm too chicken to do them. LOL I hope you find some relief soon. I need to do some research to see what can even be done for the SI joint.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:17 PM

Hi Kat,
I tried those...no luck. One of my docs said I had arthritic sac joints so maybe if the Aleve works, it could be your problem too. I'm getting the run around from the docs...I don' t know which drives me crazy more-the pain or the doctors! Even in the morning, after I take the hydrocondone, it takes 2-3 hours before I can get moving.

I got all my old MRI reports-even the ones taken right before my 3 surgeries on my neck....funny, they all said there wasn't any problems ! Thank GOD I take those reports with a grain of salt. ...any my OSS. the last reading of my MRI, with 3 bulging discs, said that my back was normal for a 52 year old. I DON'T THINK SO...otherwise EVERYONE would be in pain unable to work, or function at 52! Retirement would start at 50...Medicare also at 50...No one in my family, and they're all older, have any spine problems or back pain.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:47 PM

Katina,

My PM originally thought it was my SI joint as well. Had the SI injection and it didn't do anything for me. But now we know it is the L4/L5 and S1 and it is my left leg; exactly as you describe. Anyway, I just had my second set of facet injections and it is working like a dream! If the pain comes back and since this is my second set of injections, I can go ahead and have the RF which ALSO worked wonderfully over a year ago (the nerves regenerate by the way). I am not sure if it ISN'T your SI joint but I would definitely try the injections since the doc is suggesting it. That just tells me he suspects it could be the facets as it is in my case. Anyway, just a thought because if he tells me RF time, I am definitely game because the last one worked great!
Retired - DOD/Defense Finance & Acctg/IT - 2005
Old 06-28-2008, 07:52 PM

Kathi, you might be on to something since my L5-S1 is shot anyway. I need to just suck it up and do the injections. I'm afraid of feeling worse rather than better. Were your injections bad?
Old 06-28-2008, 09:11 PM

Katina,

I have received injections off and on for the past 8 years for the neck and lumbar/sacral. I won't sugar coat it and say they are just wonderful LOL! They are not pleasant but not horrendous either. The point I really wanted to make is...

If there is a chance for relief, I would do them. You just won't know until you try. And since your doc is recommending them I would say go for it. You can always ask him if he gives sedation OR you can take something like Valium to take the anxiety down.

It is tough to make the decision to go forth because I felt that way at one time too...for my neck. But when the pain was sooo darn severe I didn't care. You know...I sort of came to the conclusion that anything was better than those headaches!

Okay, the norm for me is...the doc does the injections and uses a lot of numbing med and a little of the steroid. Then usually there is immediate relief for a few hours and that part is heaven! Then the numbing med WILL wear off and you might have an increase in pain for a day or so. Finally, and usually, the steroid will kick in that week and the next. And from there on out it just depends on how long it lasts. Sometimes, for my neck, they lasted about a week and then at other times for my neck they lasted 8 months. Same thing with the lumbar. You really just never know until it is done.

What your doc is really doing is trying to find the pain generator with the injections but they are therapeutic as well. IF they don't work, you will know soon enough because the relief just won't be there and that will tell him the facets are not the pain generator.

IF you do decide to have them give it at least 2-3 weeks to see if everything starts to calm down. I have called my PM before saying they didn't work only to wait a couple of more days and they did...I just didn't give it enough time.

And I am not saying they will work 100% of the time. Just suggesting to do as the doc advises since he is trying to determine what is what.

Hang in there, you can handle it. If fearful, just tell him that this is your first time and you want some sedation. Since he mentioned doing an RF later on chances are you can get some sedation with the shots.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:24 AM

I've had other injections, just regular epidurals though, and a transforaminal epi. None did any good at all. That's why I am skeptical. Well, that and the fact that the first one I had was absolutely horrible. He didn't use floro to start off, and I ended up begging him to use it after about 4 tries and much pain on my part. Needless to say I'm not fond of them now. But, I've had good experiences with my pm doc, who used sedation for the TFESI. He said that he won't use it for the facet injections though, and that worries me. I'd rather be knocked in the head so I don't know anything. Then, there's the issue of getting them done in the first half of my cycle since we are trying to have another child before my back completely falls apart. So, I'm limited on when I can get them, and I may be pregnant before I can finish everything. But, I've been hoping to be pregnant for over a year now, and I'm still not, so I can't just wait on it, I guess. LOL Add to that the fact that I'm staying with my Dad who has lung cancer monday through thursday. Life's nuts right now, and it sucks to be in this much pain right now, after my back being halfway hospitable to me earlier this year. It's causing me knee pain tonight, which I haven't had in a couple of months. Argh.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:26 AM

Katina,

I am so sorry about your father...I didn't know that. And now I remember that you were trying to get pregnant. Sorry, I had forgotten that.

I believe the reason your PM doesn't want to use sedation for the facets is because for one they are usually quick and two, my own PM said once that they are the easiest to give and/or receive than anything else. And that the Selective Nerve Root injections were the riskiest and normally hurt people more. Well, it is different for me because my facets are ALWAYS inflamed so it hurts a bit more.

If you decide to go forth and kind of time them, I would THINK you could take Valium or something similar just for that day's procedure. I would ask your PM about that. I know they do the same thing for people who are terrified of MRI's. What I have been told is to take 10mg or even more of Valium so I am less anxious. But the other day I only took 5mg. He did mention that to me too lol; said to take at least 10mg the next time. Anyway, it is in and out of your system in no time althoug you might feel pretty groggy. But that's better than being super keyed up and much easier on the doc too.

Katina, personally, I would give it a go. And I just say that because I think they might help you. You just don't know until you try. But of course it is your call. Oh, and the one and only ESI I had done didn't help at all so I can understand your skepticism. To me, it just seemed like it more or less flooded the area without really getting to any specific nerve or nerves. But I am talking about a disc bulge there rather than specifically targeting the facets. Oh, and make SURE he uses Fluoroscopy!!!!

Anyway, talk to your PM some more. I am certain he will be able to reassure you. And, well, since you can't guarantee WHEN you might get pregnant I would just try to time it as you said at the beginning of your cycle.

Last edited by Kathi49; 06-29-2008 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Correction