BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (M - Z) > Multiple Sclerosis

Old 01-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Community Member

Question hot showers

i was wondering if the heat from a hot shower affects someone with ms negitively. one day i felt good and came home and took a really hot shower and as sonn as i got out i felt really sick and stiff it was miserable. thanks
Old 01-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Distinguished Community Member

I love hot showers, but cannot do them anymore. Heat makes my symptoms worse.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamyx4jc View Post
i was wondering if the heat from a hot shower affects someone with ms negitively. one day i felt good and came home and took a really hot shower and as sonn as i got out i felt really sick and stiff it was miserable. thanks
Interestingly, years ago (decades, really) the effect a hot bath had on a person was used as a form of confirmation that the person had MS. A hot bath, and I assume a hot shower, briefly exacerbates MS symptoms. Shortly after cooling off, recovery is obtained.

Numbers
Old 01-28-2007, 02:09 PM

Oh yes!
I used to love very long, hot baths...till I couldn't get out of the tub!

Just warm ones now.

Deb
Old 01-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Community Member

Oh yeah, it's no secret that heat messes with MS symptoms.

We got a hottub several months before I was diagnosed. We spent every night in that thing. I could never understand why it made my neck and back STIFF. Hottubs are supposed to be soothing!

...except for those with MS.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Community Member

While this is a common symptom for many MSers, I would like to add that it does not always affect everyone with MS. After 14 years of MS I can still take a very hot bath or shower, and weirdly enough I feel BETTER afterward as far as my muscle twitches, tingling, etc. The same is true when I have a fever.

...But then again I've always been a bit odd.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:21 PM

Default wow

Janj,

You said it you are weird, most MS'ers are extreme tempurature sensitive. When I get a fever I can only move my arms the rest of me is just a 2' x 4' I cannot move anything else until the fever is gone.
You are lucky I would love to go into a hot tub without the fear of drowning.

Jan

"Never let it be too late"
Old 01-28-2007, 06:14 PM

Hey, I was just wondering...if there were no other tests for MS way back in the pre-MRI days except the hot tub thing, how did they even come up with the idea? How did they know that's what it meant?

Or is that just one of those medical myths or something?

P.S. Mark me down as one with definite MS who does not have an extreme sensitivity to heat.
DX with both MS and HNPP (a hereditary peripheral neuropathy) in July of '03, but had probably had MS for at least 30 yrs before that. I've never taken any prescription meds for either MS or MS symptoms (tried LDN for awhile).
Old 01-28-2007, 06:25 PM

I get that more from walking, particularly if it's humid. I get really tired and my vision gets blurry. I think it's the same phenomenon, though.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:24 PM

When I first got optic neuritis, I noticed that hot showers made my vision worse.

Now, I dont notice that so much any more, and it doesnt seem like the hot showers are affecting me much. But, since I read about that particular reaction that some MSers have to heat, I'm a lot more careful about the temperature of the water when I'm taking a shower.

I usually start the shower with hot water, let it run for a bit to warm up the room and keep me from freezing when I first step in, and then turn it down before I get wet. Then, I'll keep turning it down so that it's not freezing, but not hot either. If I'm worried that the heat is going to bother me, I'll run it on cold water just before getting out of the shower just so I can get a headstart on cooling down.

My dad is looking into getting a walk-in bathtub for our guest bathroom soon. (replacing the shower in there) If he does, he's getting one with a jacuzzi in it. I think in the summer when it's a bazillion degrees outside, sitting in a jacuzzi of cool water sounds like fun. Plus, if I get sick and have a fever, it'd be nice to sit in a cool tub of water, rather than stand under a cool shower.