BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Child Neurology

Old 07-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default celiac update

Kathleen had her endoscopy and biopsy 2 weeks ago this Wednesday. The doc told us to put her on the diet right away since he could already see the damage to her intestines. This was confirmed when the biopsy came back posistive also. She's been on the diet for almost 2 weeks now and I can already see improvments. She's not having as much belly pain. For the first time in months she's waking up happy and getting out of bed without asking for a warm towel on her belly and rub her back. She's also got much more energy and happy to get out of the house do things without resistance. She would resist doing things often and we just thought "it was just her" KWIM? the biggest thing I've noticed though is she's not wanting to eat ALL the time. Kathleen would just finish breakfast and ask for either lunch or a snack. She seemed to want to eat all the time and never left anything on her plate. Now, sometimes she doesn't clean her plate and stops if she's full AND she goes hours after a meal before she asks for something else to eat. From what I understand since the disease causes malabsortion you don't feel satisfied. Her tummy has gone down considerable. The diet is a huge learning experience. I'm thankful that we have the summer to get used to it before I send her of to school. Oh and another thing that has changed already she's been having a BM ever 3 days or so as apposed to maybe once a week ( accompianied by lots of pain). I'll keep you posted on our experiences with this.
Mary Grace
Old 07-19-2011, 08:22 PM

Hi Mary

That sounds very promising. A change in diet is a nice safe change and it looks as though Kathleen is doing well.

Keep up the great work and please keep us informed.

Best wishes and seeya.

Paul, Alison and Grant the champ.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:24 AM

Default It did wonders....

Getting off gluten and casein did wonders for mine. It did not "cure" all my younger daughter's problems but it was still a type of "magic bullet" - it is just that we needed a "magic cannon" (LOL!) Still, it really did wonders for her. For my older daughter with less severe and varied issues, it was indeed a "magic bullet."
Old 07-26-2011, 10:30 PM

((((((Mary Grace & Kathleen))))))

How wonderful that Kathleen is feeling better with the new diet! I think diet is critically important to overall systemic health (I'm a vegetarian, which helps control my RA), and I know that certain foods are important for hypothyroid, prostate, seizures, etc. as I've researched them through the years.

Improved bowel movements are a fantastic outcome too. It's so important that our bodies get rid of our toxins through bowel movement and urination.

I am certain that you will continue to see an overall improvement in every aspect of Kathleen's health.

"She's waking up happy." What a blessing!!!! Also important to overall health and well being.

I'm just delighted for you that this was the answer to help Kathleen.

Love & Light,

Rose
*smallrose Mom to Jon, 41, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:10 PM

Thumbs up

I had the exact same thing happen to me on gluten. I was eating constantly. Now, three years GF, I have normal blood sugar for the first time in my life and will even forget to eat until I feel faint because I no longer feel hungry all the time. I do have other problems, but getting off gluten was very eye-opening and rid me of symptoms I had never thought of, such as joint pain and plantar fasciitis.

LIZARD
LIZ in Li'l Rhody; hydrocephalus dx'ed at 3 weeks old. No shunt surgery in 30 years! Epilepsy well-controlled and autoimmune issues being worked on. Mom to Caren, 19, successful ablation 4/18/07 for WPW; and Drewy, 16, (autism dx'ed at 2 1/2, 13 mm ACM dx'ed at 5 1/2, no surgery, doing awesome!!) Wife of 20 years to Don...and friend to Gina. RIP. 9/5/66-10/22/07

http://s.excoboard.com/Livingwithhyd..._Gina_Libonate
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/autism-chiari/
Old 07-30-2011, 02:34 PM

I think Kathleen will be one of those people who have symptoms from jsut trace amounts of gluten. I've been carfefull but it seems some belly pain returned this week. It may be from the syprup I used, vanilla flavor in ehr homemade pancakes, shredded cheese(didn't say gluten free), or cross contamination. I have to say since I've started reading lables I'v gotten a lot pickier about what I buy. There is sooooo much CRAP in our food!!! One thing I knew was gluten free for a snakc was Fritos Corn chips. So I checked a store brand corn chip and the lsit of ingrediants was huge! Needless to say I just put it back on the shelf. Fritos have 3 ingrediants Corn, oil and salt that's it nothing else. We're being fed such crap! and who knows what this is doing to our bodies??? OK I'm off my soapbox now but gosh this makes me angry.
Another question for some of you familiar with celiac or gluten free diets. My older daughter had blood work last week I'm not positive if they did the proper test(and most acurate) I will ask to see the paperwork to find out but is this really possible that the PC doc doesnt' know what test to do? She has soooo many symptoms that could be atributed to celiac, The biggest worry is the eating dissorder she's suffered from for over 9 yrs. She's like a carb addict.
Mary Grace
Old 07-31-2011, 10:25 PM

glad you were able to find something to help make a positive difference in her life. great news.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:24 PM

((((((Mary Grace & Kathleen))))))

You are so very correct about the crap in our food. Not to mention pesticides used on our produce, hormones and antibiotics fed to animals, the contamination of soils in which foods are grown, etc.

This is the primary reason why our family became vegetarians, and why we try to eat organic food as much as possible, even frozen foods.

The best diet is whole organic foods, like those used in the Vita Mix for blenderized Gtube diets. You can't get healthier than that diet. And all could benefit, not just Gtubers, from incorporating whole foods in our diets.

Recently, I saw a promotion for a film, which is being released on Aug. 9, entitled, "Forks Over Knives." I think it will be a very enlightening documentary about the food we consume and the detriment to our health from it.

"You are what you eat," is an old saying, but a true adage.

My meat-eating friends are sick frequently with colds, stomach viruses, or flu. But Jim and I have spent 94 days in the hospital with Jon during flu season, when docs and nurses were sick and working, yet we didn't catch a single bug. We attribute that to our diet. Jon's primary doc in the hospital, also a vegetarian, is never sick.

Increasing our intake of fresh fruits and vegetables (guaranteed gluten-free) is an excellent path toward systemic health. Good for your bowels, bladder, liver, heart, kidneys, skin, etc.

Food for thought ... now I will descend from my soapbox!!

I would suspect that it's quite possible that your older daughter might have celiac, and maybe you could try removing wheat from your cupboards altogether, so that no one eats gluten. It might be affecting you also.

Perhaps your older daughter might need to have her triglycerides checked and her sugar levels. Does she like sweets?

Learning how to eat properly seems to be a process. We've been going through it for at least 15 years, discovering new things about whole food and its benefits all of the time. I think you'll be amazed at the changes you will be making in your family's diet and the things you learn about ingredients. It's something we should all do, not just because we have celiac or some condition, but because real, whole food is good for all of us.

Love & Light,

Rose
*smallrose Mom to Jon, 41, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.