BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Epilepsy Forums

Old 08-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Unhappy Getting Real Sick of This S*#*

Hey everyone! As you can tell I'm in a wonderful mood! Not!! I know I shouldn't be a whiner but I'm so sick and tired of epilepsy it about makes me sick to spell or say Seizure!! I know all of you feel the same way if you don't well, good for you!! I certainly applaud you! No joke. I have had Epilepsy for 5 years now from a catastrophic brain injury and trust me I am very grateful for everything in my life and I do accept my Epilepsy, but it seems about every year I have a new one join the group I already have. Recently last year just started having complex partials, and found out I was having tonic clonics in my sleep! Just today I had a very strange feeling all throughout the right side of my body, which went numb and started to tingle for about 5 minutes! So I'm up to having, all the major seizures one could have? I am on the whole gamut of crap! 3000mg of keppra 460mg of dilantin 400mg of topamax 1mg of colanazpam and last but not least 40mg of celxa! And I feel fine!! I have a functional Mri scheduled for friday at the Cleveland clinic, but I think that will be a waste of time because all the trauma is on the right side and that is where the seizures are coming from anyway! Why are they doing it? Haven't have one clue! Anyway I guess I just needed to B****! Regards Jeff
Old 08-03-2011, 07:57 PM

Hi Jeff,

I'm sorry things aren't going to well for you and I want you to know I understand exactly how you feel. I've had epilepsy for 30 yrs. now and had 2 surgeries to reduce my sz. but they found out that what started out as a scar on the right temporal lobe and caused absence (petit mal) seizures when I was a kid lead to more brain damage on the frontal lobe and left temporal lobe from so many seizures. On top of that after having a DNA test they found out I was drug resistent.
I'm wondering if all the AED's you are taking isn't causing more seizures for you. I know that when I was taking 5 different AED's I had many more seizures and then I saw an Epi and he put me on 3 AED's and the seizures reduced greatly. When I took Keppra it caused me to have more seizures so I went on vimpat along with Diamox and mysoline and I haven't had a complex partial seizure in a long time, and most of my seizures now are either absence or aura (simple partial) sz. This may sound crazy but put a cold wash cloth on your face and neck 3-5 times a day this will help calm the neurons in the brain and stop seizures. The FDA will be coming out with a device called "Microchip A" in about 2-3 yrs. that will be used for epilepsy the device is put in a persons brain and it will fire up cooling the neurons down in the brain and either stop or reduce seizures. I wish you only the best of luck and Keep your chin up! May God Bless You!

Sue
Old 08-03-2011, 08:59 PM

Tiger I don't have epilepsy but my life is negatively affected by my health also and I know how it is being so sick and tired of our failing bodies. I just wanted to commiserate.

I am confused about your statement

Quote:
I have a functional Mri scheduled for friday at the Cleveland clinic, but I think that will be a waste of time because all the trauma is on the right side and that is where the seizures are coming from anyway!
The MRI will show blood flow in your brain in response to neural activity. the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body though when it comes to seizures I am not sure if the same applies.

I really hope you start getting some better results. I agree with Sue about the meds. Often while researching medication I have been prescribed I find that there were possibilities of reactions by mixing some meds. The docs don't always know but make your pharmacist your best friend. They often know more than the docs.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face ... we must do that which we think we cannot.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:47 PM

Howdy Jeff!

Keep posting these rants of yours!

When I was at that stage I kept it all bottled up inside of myself...

T'wasn't pretty!!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:15 AM

Hiya Jeff,

I must agree with howdydave, it is healthy to release the anger you feel towards your epilepsy. I can say I know exactly how you feel. Yesterday (my b-day) for me marks 36 years of having seizures. I just had a tonic clonic couple of weeks ago, and the simple partials have been bugging me more frequently. Though I have come to regard the long term side effects of all the drugs I have been prescribed in attempts to control the seizures over the years as more of a burden than the seizures themselves. I hate the memory loss, and other side effects. I hate that seizures made me give up a successful career as a banquet chef when the stress from it triggered a seizure in the kitchen and I fell, plunging my hand into a deep fryer. I hated all the injuries I've sustained from the many seizures I've sustained over the years.

You are certainly not alone in your feelings Jeff.

Good luck to you, and hang in there!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Community Member

Hi Jeff -
I finally went to see a therapist because of my e------. I don't think I would have kept going. Keep talking about it.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:18 AM
New Community Member

Hi Jeff! I agree with meds maybe be causing different and more seizures. I know it is more then frustrating, but please keep plugging along. It will get better. Keep coming back here and talking and reading others experiences--so much help, knowledge and support here! (((Jeff))) Hang in there!!!