BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Epilepsy Forums

Old 07-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Travis, I wish you well and hope you get through the phases with a green light. I would ask you to find out how many successful cases the neurosurgoen to do your resection has done. You want to do this one time, and there is no need for other additional surgery if done right the first time. I had this done 12 years ago once and have not lost consciousness since. Please do your part and ask questions about their skill at this surgery. I would want to talk with some of the other patients who have had this done at this hospital by this same team. That way you can fee assured you are trusting your brain and your life from here on out to the right people. This is your choice. Four meds is so much and can by themselves cause seizures a you know. Is this an Epileptologist at a Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, Level 4 per the NAEC who is treating you? I certainly hope so and that you center and neurosurgeon is one with a very good record of patient's surgical success. They are not at all the same, and name is not what you go by. Experience and outcome are the hallmarks to be used. You do have a big part to play besides just patient. I wish you well and keep us posted. Tattoo
Old 07-17-2011, 10:39 AM

Sorry for not keeping this page up to date... I was out Friday. They captured the data needed, and have the one from 2 years ago. No changes in how/where my seizures originate.

so now it's move on to the other parts of this first phase: Neuro Psych, PET and I was told an MRI (different type of cuts?) and see if I move on to second phase of tests...

So still a long way out.

YES it is an epileptologist. The Neuro surgeon looks VERY impressive checking the education, credentials, and such. They have published a number of papers regarding the surgery. I have not met the surgeon yet, but I fully see that happening.

The place that might be doing it is a Level 4. They work with a number of other hospitals and even with Mayo. Good grief, there are THREE NEAC-4 clinics/hospitals in the immediate area including mine, and worst case Mayo is a drive if they need to have me there... I think I'm in a very good community.

The exact procedure to be done has not been mentioned yet. I'll be seeing my doc for review of these early tests in a month or so. Then discuss where I might proceed at that point.

I can make an educated guess what will be done, removal of the problem area. Not sure exactly yet... As I said, this is JUST at the infancy in the tests.

--Travis
Old 07-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Community Member

Hi Travis -
How about a lap-top computer? Often the hospital will give a temporary access to use the internet. Unfortunately, access to incoming e-mail is often restricted. I spent allot of time on the internet and even seizured while on-line what a week.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Community Member

oop's you already finished that phase well I wish you the best in the next step.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:20 PM

no prob Zep.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:04 PM

Hi Travis,

I had to go through all the steps that you are going through. I wish you only the best. Don't be surprised if they want to do a wada test, angiogram, and spect scan on you after they finish up these tests. I found the wada test the most amazing test and it's all on video so if you want to you can watch it later on. Here's wishing You Well and May God Bless You!

Sue
Old 07-27-2011, 10:30 AM

I had the fun Neuro Psych, and the day before they did a double scan, the PET and CT with enhancing fluid. Neuro Psych didn't last nearly as long as was planned. The fun WISC card test, short term memory test, IQ uest, the blocks (make this shape)...all that fun stuff. And I have the NEW version of the MMPI. I remember the old version so fondly.

--Travis
Old 07-27-2011, 07:41 PM

Hi Travis,

I remember all the fun Neuro Psych tests that you mentioned. What I liked doing the best is when they would show me a picture of nothing but black and white lines going every which way and asking me what I saw.
My neuro psych found that my speech was split down both sides of my brain instead of being on the left side only. Take it easy and thanks for keeping us updated. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue