View Single Post
Old 01-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Edward Edward is offline
Distinguished Community Member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 206

Hi Repeat Leaker,

Well, I am not a medical professional or anyhing like that but I have done a ton of research on the Net over the past couple months on cranial leaks (because I think I have one). Anyway, yes, it is my understanding that cranial leaks can be spontaneous (as well as from traumatic causes). As far as tests, there seem to be various ones depending upon who you ask and how large the suspected leak is. Most cranial leaks will leak out of the ear or the nose (but not always). So, the first thing they try to do is have you collect some fluid for testing. The best test is apparently the beta transferrin test and if the fluid comes back positive for bt then they know you have a leak. The problem is that sometimes (like in me) the leak is too small and you cannot collect enough fluid to be tested. Or, it drains down the back of the throat (like me) and you cannot collect it at all.

There are other tests that can be done to determine if you have a leak. I think one of the most common is the CT-cisternogram where they inject a radioactive solution into your spine and then perform CT-scans of your head at various times to see if any of the radioactive "stuff" leaks out anywhere. There are apparently some slight risks with this procedure as my doctor has been reluctant to do it based upon simply a suspicion of a small leak. There are other tests also that I have read about and I hopefully am going to pursue one of these tests for myself. These tests include things like using just MRI to find a leak, injecting a solution (either dye or something with radioactivity) and then having cotton pledgets located in various places like at the opening of the eustachian tubes. The pledgets are then collected hours or days later and analyzed to see if any of the dye or radioactivity has shown up - which would indicate a leak. There may be other tests also. When I have a chance, I will find some of my better links that I have run across and I will get them to you.

Then, once they know you have a leak, I think there are different tests to determine where the leak actually is (or maybe some of the above tests also can show that - I'm not sure). My knowledge in this area is sketchy as I, at this point, have just been concentrating on trying to find a test that will show I have a leak - rather than worrying about where the leak actually is.

Again, I am not a medical professional so take the above information with a huge "grain of salt" but I just wanted to let you know my understanding.

Talk to you again....Ed.
Reply With Quote