View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 02:26 PM
New Community Member

Default dizziness, deafness and migraines

This is really fascinating to start to tie a lot of these seemingly unrelated things together. I didn't mention, but remembered reading your last post, that my grandpa, dad and sister with the hearing problems all complain of really noisy tinnitis. My grandpa used to get really aggravated. He would say he felt like he would be able to hear if the ringing would just get a little quieter, it drowned everything out.

I do get migraines. Thankfully, they are not the intractable kind and are usually very responsive to an over the counter remedy (I usually take Excedrine Migraine which contains aspirine, caffeine and acetominophen). I know that one of my triggers is hormones as I started to get them really badly, really frequently and more difficult to get rid of when taking a depot form of progesterone for birth control. When I stopped that and switched to a non hormonal method, I went back to the occasional, easy to control kind.

Let me ask you this: have you seen any relationship (or heard of it) between HNPP and Benign Hypermobile Joint Syndrome (aka: Ehlers Danlos type IV)? It's a mutation in the gene that codes for collagen fibrils making them too stretchy. This is something that I am 99% sure runs rampant in our family (more from Mom's side). Personally, I've herniated a disc, torn both rotator cuffs (shoulders) with subsequent chronic dislocation, dislocated a tendon in my left ankle, etc. Other family members with similar stories. It seems that the joints that slide around too much, the swelling after injuring myself + the tendancy to be numb and have decreased sensation kind of work together to make me miserable..... well, that's overly dramatic... it's a way of life that makes me look like I must be a klutz.

When I was going to PT for my ankle after surgery to put the tendon back where it belonged they used electric stimulation to the area to promote increased blood flow. They told me to let them know when I started feeling shocks and they would dial it back a notch. They kept turning it up, I felt nothing. Finally they stopped because it had never been that high and checked the plugs and connections thinking it wasn't working. Then the therapist tried it out on himself and yelled "ouch!!" He couldn't believe I felt nothing at all. We realized then that one of the reasons I keep hurting myself is that I don't feel that warning pain to stop doing something dangerous until I have a blowout.

BTW what is an AFO?