PDA

View Full Version : Sudden State of Not Making Sense

dealingwithnonsense
10-14-2008, 09:06 AM
[Disclaimer: I would just like to say that I understand it is not possible to diagnose anyone through a written description, of course, but I just don't even know where to begin with understanding this problem, so I am seeking some direction and guidance in what this may be and what route I should take.]

More and more frequently, my husband appears to be entering a state of not making sense. Out of nowhere, he will make a comment that doesn't make any sense at all. He almost appears somewhat drunk, even though he has not had a sip of alcohol. There is sometimes even stumbling around involved in this type of state, and he may slur his words as well.

Here is an example: This morning, we agreed he would take my car to work so that I can take his car into the shop, as my work hours are more flexible for doing so. Everything was fine when we woke up this morning; we spent 20 or so minutes in bed talking normally. He then went in for a shower, and when he came out, he said, "Where is lunch? I need...get the bid." It turns out he was trying to ask me where my keys were so he could take my car.

I am always so concerned when something like this happens, so naturally, I said, "Honey, you're not making sense. What are you talking about lunch and the bid?" In this type of circumstance, he always tries to justify what he was saying, this time, claiming that I would associate lunch with my keys because he'll be driving in order to get lunch today, but clearly that is not actually logical.

During these "states," his face appears completely blank. He looks off, appearing to not be actually looking at anything, and it is difficult to get him to focus on anything. He just continues to slur his words and not make sense, and it's like he's not all there.

It is probably only within the past six months or so that these "nonsense states" have been occurring while he's awake, but long before this, he frequently had extreme nonsense states during his sleep. During his sleep, it would appear he would wake up, and he would begin talking to me about something that made no sense at all, being very insistent about the topic and truly believing he was being logical. The next morning, however, he would not remember anything of the conversation. Apparently, he has had a history of sleep-talking and sleep-walking since he was a child, so I was never too concerned.

However, this could now be somewhat related to what is going on with him when he is awake, so I figured I should provide that background. It is almost like a confusion of sleeping and waking states? But he does, for the most part, remember the episodes of this "nonsense state" that occur when he is awake.

I know that he should go to a doctor, but I don't even know what kind or where to begin. Chances are, he is not going to be in a nonsense state in the presence of a doctor, so how can we rectify that? He is also somewhat in denial that this is happening, and to my knowledge, no one else has ever seen him in one of these states. He has never slipped into a nonsense state in a social situation in which I was present, and if it were to happen to him, say, at work, I'd assume that most people who don't know him very well would just shrug it off. I, however, am positive that something is very wrong here.

If it matters, my husband is a 26-year-old man with no health problems and no history of mental disease. He is also incredibly smart, so his sounding like an idiot is certainly not a product of a lack of intelligence.

Can anyone shed any light on this situation? Please feel free to ask me additional questions if I could provide more information that would be helpful.

moose53
10-14-2008, 09:40 AM
You need to get him to a doctor IMMEDIATELY!!

Even though he's very young for a lot of 'things' that could be causing this, he needs to be seen right away to rule all of these out.

Mini-strokes, epileptic seizures ... I could go on for pages as to what the problem might be. But, I'm not a doctor and my telling you what I 'think' might be the problem isn't going to keep him safe at all.

If neither one of you has a doctor that you can see right away -->> TODAY <<-- please-please go through the emergency ward. This is not something that you should be putting off.

I pray that he's OK, pray that it's nothing 'serious', but, the only way to find that out is to get him a good thorough medical checkup (including blood tests, heart evaluation, x-rays, and MRI of the head). Bless both of you. Let us know what you find out. Hugs.

Barb

dealingwithnonsense
10-14-2008, 10:50 AM
You need to get him to a doctor IMMEDIATELY!!

Even though he's very young for a lot of 'things' that could be causing this, he needs to be seen right away to rule all of these out.

Mini-strokes, epileptic seizures ... I could go on for pages as to what the problem might be. But, I'm not a doctor and my telling you what I 'think' might be the problem isn't going to keep him safe at all.

If neither one of you has a doctor that you can see right away -->> TODAY <<-- please-please go through the emergency ward. This is not something that you should be putting off.

I pray that he's OK, pray that it's nothing 'serious', but, the only way to find that out is to get him a good thorough medical checkup (including blood tests, heart evaluation, x-rays, and MRI of the head). Bless both of you. Let us know what you find out. Hugs.

Barb

Hi Barb,

Thank you for your kind words and good wishes. Unfortunately, he will not be able to go to a doctor for another six weeks. We recently moved to a new state for my career, and thus, he also started a new job here. As with most jobs, health insurance does not begin for 90 days. It will be another six weeks until he has health insurance, but we will go to a doctor then.

In corresponding via email with him after this morning's example, he sincerely believes nothing is wrong with him. This is also a problem, as he will probably be difficult to convince that he needs to go to a doctor.

LIZARD
10-14-2008, 11:18 AM
((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))).

First he should NOT be driving until it's determined what this is and it's under control. Second, I would look into possible small seizures and/or mini strokes. He should have an MRI of the head and neck, and it should be looked at by a neuroSURGEON if it's noted to have ANY abnormalities, even the smallest cyst, tumor, or difference in brain structure. DO NOT let yourselves be casually dismissed with a "Oh, it's just a LITTLE tonsillar herniation/cyst/tumor; it means nothing." If ANYTHING is is found, a neurologist will be clueless about it. I am a lifelong neuro/nsg patient; I can tell you this from experience.

Good luck, and please let us know!

*hug

LIZARD :)